Anxiety attacks can be awful, frightening, and frustrating for both people and animals. Over 6 million people suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and countless animals. My dog Duke suffers from anxiety attacks. His manifest as separation anxiety. Fortunately he is not one to chew things up or soil the house or even bark or howl for hours. No, Duke just tries to get out of the house to find me. I've had Duke for 1 1/2 years now and as I learn more about his history I understand the why behind his anxiety. What I know is he was found by a rescue group wandering the streets of Vernon, the southern boundary of East LA. He has a scare on his neck, probably a chain scar; scars on his ears and head, probably from fighting. What I have found though, is he is not violent. He is a sweet boy. He may have been discarded because he wouldn't fight.
As I mentioned, he suffers from separation anxiety and tries to get out of the house to find me. For the past 10 months or so, we've kept his fears under control with medication - better living through chemicals! Before that he's pushed screens out, jumped out of the second story window, on to the roof and out; he's chewed up, no destroyed, one of the panels of the plantation shutters on my window; he's darted out of the garage before the door is down all the way and run out. I am lucky to have great neighbors who have found him and taken care of him each time until I get home.
Yesterday, he had another attack. Unfortunately, I forgot to close the window in my bedroom and he jumped onto the roof again. This time when he jumped off he landed on the sidewalk and hurt his left leg so we spent much of Saturday afternoon at the vet. It turns out he scraped his chin too, probably when he landed on the concrete. The good news is they said his wrist isn't broken. The bad news is he's in a splint/bandage/cast thing that is so large he has trouble walking and is not sure what to do with his leg when he sleeps. He is supposed to be on strict confinement until he goes back to the vet tomorrow. I've been on strict confinement too. Other than to take the trash out and take him out to go potty, I haven't been out of the house today. He seems to be doing better. He doesn't seem to be limping as much. We'll see what the vet says tomorrow. Prayers and good thoughts please.
I can't imagine being in such a state of panic or fear as Duke appears to experience. Every indication is that he lived a tough life before coming to my family. When being x-rayed yesterday I found out on top of everything else I know about him, he's also been shot. There were pellets or something in him; probably BBs. The more I learn about him, the more I understand why his anxiety that much more. Thankfully for me, I've never experienced such a panic or fear. I am also thankful that God tells us we don't have to be anxious because he is with us. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6). I wish there was some way Duke could understand this and that he could feel the peace of Christ in his heart like I do. Until then, we will continue the better living through chemicals.




No comments:
Post a Comment