Day 2 dawned started with a breakfast buffet on the bank of the Potomac River. The food was tasty, the view spectacular and the company so much fun. After a morning working session - work?? What's up with that? - we were off the to the Mall to visit the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. This was my second visit and it was just as moving as the first. The whole concept of the holocaust, Hitler and Nazi-ism fascinates me. I just don't understand how one person can so influence so many people. I just don't get it. Yes, I understand all of the political events going on in Germany at the time that Hitler came to power. But how are so many people hoodwinked into thinking, no believing that so many people - Jews, homosexuals, the handicapped, etc. - should be annihilated? I just don't understand it and the good news is I probably never will. By the time we were done with our quick trip through the museum Katharina was feeling kind of poorly so we decided as we waled back to where we were to meet the bus, to hail a pedicab. By the time we found one we only had a couple of blocks left to walk but we rode it anyway. What fun!
After a brief rest in the room it was time to prepare for the party. Tonight's event was the Divisional Awards Banquets. The Human Resources group was with the Everest Online division. My award was presented toward the end of the evening - I think I was number 58 out of 60. My co-worker and I chuckled as the SVP of HR read my presentation. He mixed things up a bit and said I reported to my co-worker's boss who is really my colleague. I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that he'll be retiring soon? The SVP of HR that is. I received the Corinthian Award, the highest award for the company. And boy, that thing is heavy. I sure am glad they said they'd ship it back for us. The evening ended with a cocktail or two with the HR gang laughing and yucking it up together. What a joy it is to love what you do and who you do it with. I am so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment