Saturday, June 20, 2009

Stockholm, Sweden


Today’s tour is a long one - scheduled for most of the day. Our first stop was an island that is home to the old part of town, the Gamla Stan. The city square and small cobblestone roads are exactly what come to mind for me when I think of small, old European cities. One small street reminded my Mom of running through the streets in Germany when she was a little girl. Then back on the bus for a short drive through town with Lars telling us “Take a look to your right/left…” with his sweet Swedish-sing-song accent. We drove up to (it could’ve been over to - without a map I have no idea which direction we went in) to the old capital of Sweden, Sigtuna. Another quaint old town with only one church of the original 10 still standing. We stopped here for lunch and although very good, I was disappointed that it was chicken instead of a traditional Swedish meal. The beer was really good (gluten what?). After lunch we drove back to town to visit the Vasa Museum. Now I must confess that when I read this tour description originally I wasn’t too thrilled about going to see an old Viking ship. Boy, was I wrong and I have no problem admitting it - this time. The Vasa was built and sailed in the 1630s. It only took one voyage and it only lasted 20 minutes. As the ship was going out to sea it took on water through the cannon bays from waves caused from gale winds. Being that the ship was top heavy it couldn’t handle the water and sunk. It is considered the greatest naval tragedy in Sweden’s history. The ship remained underwater intact until is was found in the late 1950s. It took five years for scientists/historians to figure out how to raise her without damaging her. Today, she sits in a museum that was built around her for all to see in her restored splendor. It was an absolutely amazing sight to see and unquestionably the best sight I saw in Sweden. If you ever have the opportunity to go to Stockholm, make sure you stop in to see the Vasa! Here are some photos for you to enjoy.


I would be remiss if I ended our tales from Stockholm right there. As we get off the tour bus at the port, Mom slipped on the stairs at the back of the bus. On this particular bus the steps were rather steep and narrow. Fortunatley she had her can with her (she really only uses it for balance since she’ll be having knee replacement sometime after our vacation). As she started to fall, she tried to catch herself with her cane, which just jammed her shoulder really bad. She has a rotator cuff problem to begin with that she’s had under control for a while. Not any more. She really did a number on her shoulder. So off to the Spa we go so she can get an Acupuncture treatment. I am so glad she had one when we were in China and loved it, because I knew there really wasn’t anything else we could do for it. The treatment was successful - her pain was manageable and she was able to get a good night’s sleep. Our next day was a day at sea and I’ll continue the shoulder saga tonight after today’s tour. As our cruise director says, “toodly-oo!”

No comments:

Post a Comment