Estonia, a country I knew nothing about but I had heard of it. What a beautiful city Tallinn is. We went into town before our tour started since we had the time. We started off by shopping at a hand arts market. As I was shopping I realized I left my credit cards and money on the ship - what a dunce! Good thing Mom had money and was willing to lend me some. We wandered through the old town and found our way to the market in the town square. I'm seeing a pattern here. Shopping!!! This is a quaint old medieval town. Some of the merchants dress in medieval clothing and as we walked around there were carts selling cinnamon flavored almonds. Who knew they were popular that long ago?
Our tour took us around the city past the Methodist Church - the most modern church in town, past where the yachting events were held for the 1980 Olympics, to the Song Grounds and above the Lower Old Town that we discovered on our own to the Upper Old Town. Some of the additional sights we saw were the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and the Old Estonian Palace that is now the Parliament building. Then to an area where we could overlook the city and the Lower Old Town with its red roofs and many steeples. This quaint and pretty town was a great way to start the cruise.




No comments:
Post a Comment